State Transit is committed to developing the highest skilled employees in the industry through our Apprenticeships Program.
A Heavy Vehicle Mechanic, Body Repairer or Vehicle Painter apprenticeship is your first step to gaining the skills and knowledge you need to obtain your trade qualification and kick off a rewarding career in vehicle maintenance and beyond.
An apprenticeship combines on-the-job training with study at TAFE. The program is structured over four years and allows you to be paid while you work. We support you by covering your course fees, TAFE materials, tools, uniforms and protective equipment. We also offer competitive pay, an employee travel pass, paid study leave and lots of other great benefits.
State Transit is a great place to learn a trade with the largest bus fleet in Australia and some of the most experienced tradespeople in the industry. Our expert mentors provide practical demonstrations and skills training to help you put theory into practice and provide ongoing feedback to help improve your proficiency. At the end of your apprenticeship, you will be eligible to apply to join State Transit's permanent workforce, with great pay, flexible conditions and challenging work. To learn more about where a State Transit apprenticeship can take you, visit the Meet our people page.
Body Repairer Apprenticeships
Our Heavy Vehicle Body Repairer Apprentices maintain and repair our bus fleet including:
- Determining vehicle damage and recommended repair procedures
- Repairing corroded panels and components including rust and fibreglass repairs
- Panel fabrication and welding
- Repairing accident damage
- Installing and fit out of floor coverings
- Paint rectification and touch up work
- Straightening frames
- Removing and replacing bonded panels and windows
- Seat repairs and replacements
- Repair and servicing of destination mechanisms
- Change out programs
Motor Mechanic Apprenticeships
Our Heavy Vehicle Mechanic Apprentices service, maintain and repair automotive systems including:
- Steering and suspension
- Cooling systems
- Electrical systems
- Fuel Air systems
Work is undertaken using electronic manuals and diagnostic aids to help identify faults.
Automotive Refinishing (Vehicle Painting) Apprenticeships
Our Vehicle Painter Apprentices paint, refinish, repair and maintain painted surfaces on our bus fleet including:
- Repairing body panels
- Colour matching including solid colour, multi-layer & clear over-base colour
- Solid acrylic enamel refinishing and air dry & polyurethane enamel refinishing
- Paint rectification and touch up work for solids, clear over-base, multi-layer & pearl using a two component system
- Preparing spray booths and equipment
Frequently asked questions
To find out more about the work, training program, eligibility requirements and the fantastic opportunities and benefits available, check out our Apprenticeships FAQ
For more information about the fantastic benefits available to apprentices and to all staff, check out the Benefits page.
Visit the workplace
So, keen to know what it's really all about? Contact Leanne Springer, Fleet Operations Training Advisor on 9508 2917 for a chat or to make a time to tour our Leichhardt workshop. Bookings are essential.
Meet more of our Apprentices by visiting our Careers Profile page below.