There are a number of advantages of working with State Transit, including:
- An additional day off every 20 day roster.
- 4 weeks annual leave with 17.5% leave loading.
- Sick leave of 15 days per year; accrued pro rata during the first year of service.
- Employee travel pass allowing free travel on State Transit services and some Sydney Trains, NSW Trains and Sydney Ferry services.
- 9.25% superannuation employer contribution and option to salary sacrifice.
- Uniforms and personal protective equipment are provided; in addition there is a government clothing incentive.
- Tools are supplied; in addition there is a government incentive called “Tools For Your Trade”.
- Competitive rates of pay
- State Transit pays the TAFE fees for 1st year apprentices upfront. TAFE fees are reimbursed to apprentices in the 2nd and 3rd year.
- State Transit reimburses TAFE learning materials and textbooks.
- A Study Assistance Program can be accessed by fourth year apprentices for post trade courses; also available to permanent employees for studies relevant for career development within State Transit.
- Fourth year apprentices who have obtained the relevant TAFE qualification will be invited to apply through a merit selection process for inclusion on an eligibility list to act up as a tradesperson should a vacancy arise.
- Permanent tradesperson positions can be offered based on the outcome of a merit selection process conducted within 12 months.
- Apprentices who complete all the vocational training requirements of the trade can apply for a MVRIA (Motor Vehicle Repair Industry Authority) trade license.
- State Transit apprentices have the opportunity to build a long-term career in the transport industry.